Who We Are

Our intention is to inform people of racist, homophobic, religious extreme hate speech perpetrators across social networking internet sites. And we also aim to be a focal point for people to access information and resources to report such perpetrators to appropriate web sites, governmental departments and law enforcement agencies around the world.

We will also post relevant news worthy items and information on Human rights issues, racism, extremist individuals and groups and far right political parties from around the world although predominantly Britain.

Wednesday, 10 November 2010

City is united against racist group (UK)

 Preston City Council has issued a joint statement about the English Defence League and their plans for a protest in Preston on 27 November.

“Preston City Council completely oppose plans by the English Defence League to hold an anti-Muslim protest in Preston on Saturday 27th November.

“Islamophobia and bigotry against Muslims are as unacceptable as any form of racism.

“Its aim is to divide communities by singling out one religious minority group. We reject their demonisation of Muslims and re-affirm Preston City Council’s commitment to the values of unity, tolerance and mutual respect.

“Preston is a multi-cultural city and that is something we should be proud of and celebrate.

“We are also proud of the harmony that exists amongst the various ethnic and cultural groups in Preston.

“The English Defence League threaten the harmony and understanding as well as posing a direct threat to the safety of Preston people and businesses.” 

Asian Image

Black Cats stars backing racism fight (UK)

A string of Sunderland stars are supporting a bid to boost the Show Racism The Red Card charity.
Striker Darren Bent, goalkeeper Simon Mignolet and young midfield star Jordan Henderson have all signed up to back its drive to be named the Football Association's charity of the year.

Defenders Titus Bramble, Anton Ferdinand and Michael Turner were also on hand at the Academy of Light training ground, in Cleadon, to throw their weight behind the campaign.

The honour would see the North East organisation benefit from the publicity associated with its affiliation to the FA, while it would also get a share of fund-raising activities carried out by the governing body, including proceeds from the annual Community Shield matches.

Craig Bankhead, North East education manager with the charity, said: "The support from both the players and the club has been amazing.

"They were happy to get involved, give their backing, and sign the card. It was a great effort."

Launched in 1996, Show Racism The Red Card holds events with football clubs across the country, runs competitions for schools to enter and produces DVDs, where players and youngsters speak about their experiences of and views on racism.

Craig added: "The campaign is going very well. We've had support from fans of all clubs, and hopefully we stand a good chance of winning FA charity of the year status, which will make a massive difference to the group."

Earlier this year, Black Cats chairman Niall Quinn pledged his support to the charity of the year bid.

He said at the time: "The education that Show Racism The Red Card provides to children is valuable not only within sport, but within any walk of life, as we aim to put a stop to anti-social and discriminatory behaviour.

"As the charity strives forward, I am delighted to continue my support in its 15th year, building on its many successes."
Sheilds Gazzette

Rally at Vancouver's Clark College protests neo-Nazi fliers (Canada)

A month after a Clark College student and member of a neo-Nazi group sparked outrage by distributing a flier on campus reading "White and Proud," some students and faculty members remain unsettled by the school's response.

Critics said the college failed to act swiftly or decisively after the fliers were distributed, and more than 100 students rallied under the school's landmark chime tower Tuesday to promote unity and diversity and to protest the college's response.

Clark College President Bob Knight -- who has been criticized for not taking a tougher stance -- attended the rally, but only made himself known when a student speaker wondered aloud where he was.

Knight said in an interview that the college's hands are tied, but students at the rally said it needs to do more.

"They need to quit hiding behind the First Amendment," said Vannak Kong, a second-year student at Clark College who helped organize the event. "I think that was an abuse of the freedom of speech."

The concern started early last month when students reported the presence of white supremacist fliers on the 16,000-student campus.

Knight ordered the fliers removed that day because they were distributed improperly under school policy, but the school didn't publicly respond till days later. That response came from a vice president who is temporarily leading the school's diversity initiatives. To some, it seemed the college was brushing off the incident.

"The students didn't hear the voice of the administration," Debra Jenkins, an early childhood education professor and member of the school's cultural pluralism committee, said at the rally. "That voice is still yet to be heard."

Knight sent an e-mail the week after the fliers were distributed saying that threats against members of the campus community wouldn't be tolerated, and the college invited people to comment at a previously scheduled public forum Oct. 18.

The 90-minute meeting drew 250 students and staff members, The Columbian newspaper reported. There, Nathan Goncalves -- sporting a navy blue uniform with a swastika -- claimed responsibility for the fliers and defended them.

He was the first to speak, and he read his flier aloud within the three minutes all speakers were allotted. Others who spoke criticized the fliers and Clark College's reaction.

Early this month, a second set of fliers -- these more overt, listing statistics suggesting nonwhites are inferior -- was approved by the school's attorney general and posted on bulletin boards around campus. The school says it has no choice.

"We're a state institution. Legally, I have to do that," Knight said Tuesday. "I wish we didn't have to allow them to do that, but free speech is protected."

Fourth-year student Ash Lehmann, who led the rally, said Clark College's administration isn't taking its students seriously.

"They're riding a fine line," Lehmann said. "I understand that. But the administration needs to respect that this is a diverse campus."

Knight said perhaps he should have been the one to e-mail students and staff after the fliers first appeared, but at that time he thought it would only spread the message.

"If I can do something a little differently and help people through this, I'm open to that," he said. "I will not be satisfied if one student is scared at college. We're going to do everything we can to make people feel safe."

Knight said the campus needs to continue having conversations about the issue. Two forums are planned this week for students, and the school plans to continue implementing its diversity objectives, which include training for administrators and opening a diversity resource center.

Oregon Live

Councillors angry as police favour the EDL in Preston (UK)

Councillors and anti-racists in Preston are furious over police decisions about the protest by the racist English Defence League (EDL) on 27 November.

Preston independent socialist councillor Michael Lavalette spoke to Socialist Worker about Monday’s council meeting. “It was one of the most shocking moments in all my time as a councillor,” he said.

“We are asking that EDL supporters are not allowed to gather in pubs but the police are going to allow them to do it—and they will be marched through the city centre.

“The police admitted that Unite Against Fascism (UAF) had booked the Flag Market before the EDL. But they said they were giving it to the EDL anyway.”

A number of councillors raised angry objections to the plans, asking why UAF could not be given the Flag Market.

“It will be Preston’s shame if they are allowed to march on our streets,” says Michael. “I think it is vitally important that we don’t give this ground to racists and fascists.”


The police and Tory councillors asked the council to put out a statement calling for no counter protest against the EDL. But it was defeated as councillor after councillor spoke about the need to confront racists and Nazis.

“There was no vote on whether we accepted the police proposal and, unfortunately, the council did agree to allow the chief executive to apply for a ban of marches on the day,” says Michael.

“I spoke against this, arguing it will not prevent the EDL from holding a static protest or the police from marching them from one end of the city to the other.”

Michael has come under attack from the police for his interview in Socialist Worker last week about the protest. But he is sticking by his account and has the backing of other councillors.

He explained how the police seemed to think UAF was “as much of a problem, if not more so, than the EDL”.

“I agree with Michael’s account,” Labour councillor Dave Wilson told Socialist Worker. “I was astounded at the approach of the police. I live in an area that has a church, a mosque and a Hindu temple—people respect each other. The EDL threatens that unity. That’s why I will be on the counter protest.”

Another Labour councillor, Drew Gale, agreed: “I was perplexed by the police’s approach. I don’t agree with those who say we should not protest—we need greater numbers than the EDL.”

Socialist Worker Online

Port Vale: FA probe as supporters accused of racist abuse

PORT Vale could be hit by an FA fine after some of their fans were accused of racially abusing Burton defender Darren Moore during last week’s League Two stalemate at the Pirelli Stadium, writes Steve Shaw.

The FA launched an investigation after the alleged abuse was reported by match referee Phil Gibbs.

Vale chairman Bill Bratt responded by vowing to issue life bans to any supporters found guilty of “bigoted behaviour”.

“We’re deeply shocked and saddened by these reports, which brings the good name of Port Vale into disrepute,” he said.

“The club have always prided ourselves on the excellent work undertaken by the Valiants Against Racism initiative.

“Football has spent the last 30 years trying to attract families and ethnic minority groups into our grounds.

“That work must not be undone by a small and mindless minority.

“Any of our supporters who use racially-abusive language to any player or supporter will be apprehended and suffer an immediate life ban from Vale Park.”

“This kind of bigoted behaviour is not acceptable.”

The alleged racial abuse was reported by West Midlands referee Phil Gibbs who took charge of last week’s stalemate at Burton.

The FA could fine Vale if their investigation concludes the club have a charge to answer.

An FA spokesman explained: “The investigation is only at a preliminary stage and the FA have asked both clubs to give their observations.”

Vale defender Lee Collins is facing a race against time to be fit for Saturday’s League Two clash at Northampton.

The 22-year-old has been suffering from shin splints for at least a month and will not resume training until Thursday after coming off in Saturday’s 1-1 FA Cup draw at Dartford.

Striker Marc Richards is also a doubt after missing Saturday’s FA Cup draw with non-league  Dartford because of a knee injury, but is still expected to line up at Sixfields.

Winger Rob Taylor could return to training later this week as he nears his recovery from a torn hamstring.

The replay with Dartford will take place at Vale Park on Tuesday, November 16 (7.45pm)

This is Stafordshire

'Racist sniper' appears in Swedish court

A Swedish man suspected of a year-long shooting spree against immigrants was remanded in custody on Tuesday, facing one charge of murder and five of attempted murder, a court official said.

"He has been remanded in custody," a clerk at the Malmoe district court in southern Sweden told AFP.

Since his arrest late Saturday, the suspect has been identified by police only as a 38-year-old ethnic Swede, but media reports have named him as Peter Mangs.

Prosecutor Solveig Wollstad requested he be remanded in custody on suspicion of the murder of a 20-year-old woman in October 2009 and five attempted murders since.

She told reporters after the hearing she feared that if released, "he will destroy evidence ... and will continue with his criminal behaviour."

"The suspicion against him has been strengthened" since his arrest, Wollstad told a press conference broadcast live on television, adding that other shooting incidents also figured in the ongoing investigation.

The court hearing, held behind closed doors, determined that charges should be brought against the suspect by November 23, but Wollstad said the probe would take longer and that she would ask for his detention to be extended.

Defence lawyer Christina Brink meanwhile said her client denied any wrongdoing and opposed being held in custody, the Expressen daily reported.

The ruling to keep him in custody came as a massive Malmoe police investigation continued into whether a lone shooter with racist motives was behind some 15 attacks over the past year, killing one person and injuring several others.

The shooter may even have committed unsolved murders dating as far back as 2003, police said.

"The investigation is far from over," regional police chief Boerje Stroemholm told Tuesday's press conference, stressing that questioning of the suspect had not revealed a motive.

"He denies committing a crime, so it is difficult to ask what his motives have been," he said.

The incidents in the southern city bore chilling similarity to the case of a gunman who targeted immigrants in Stockholm in the early 1990s, dubbed "Laserman".

The "Laserman", John Ausonius, shot 11 people of immigrant origin, killing one, around Stockholm from August 1991 to January 1992.

Ausonius, who got his nickname by initially using a rifle equipped with a laser sight, was jailed for life in 1994.

Police said the man arrested Saturday possessed a licence for two weapons, seized during a search of his home.

Expressen reported that at least one of the weapons has been linked to a number of the shootings being investigated as part of the case.

Swedish media have also reported that the suspect is suffering from Aspergers disease, and on Tuesday police acknowledged that he had "a handicap," they were taking into consideration during interrogations.

Police meanwhile criticised the massive media attention surrounding the case, lashing out at journalists for revealing so many details and publishing the man's name and picture.

Stroemholm said any attempt to set up a photo identity parade for victims and witnesses "has been ruined," adding that police had also been forced to evacuate at least two family members and acquaintances of the suspect due to media pressure.

Trez Persson, 20, was killed last October when someone fired several shots into the car in which she was sitting with a friend, a man of immigrant origin, who was seriously wounded.

Media reports have linked several shootings last month to the case, including incidents in which two men were shot in the back, a week apart, as they waited alone in the dark at isolated bus stops.

Google Hosted news

Racist gang's glass attack raises fears of pub owners (UK)

The 37-year-old mixed-race man was said to have been enjoying a drink with friends in the City Limits Bar on Leith Walk, when they were approached by a gang of white men who started racially abusing the group.

One member of the gang is said to have grabbed a pint glass off the bar and smashed it over the victim's head before running away from the scene.

The victim, who was "covered in blood", was taken to the ERI before being moved to St John's Hospital for plastic surgery on the deep wounds.

Publican Silvana Murray said she was "devastated" that something so horrific could happen in her normally peaceful pub.

She told the Evening News: "In all my years, since buying the pub in 2002, I have never seen anything like this. I am devastated and feel physically sick thinking about it.

"We are a peaceful pub where different football supporters and all different races can mix without any bother.

"At around 9pm, I believe some words were exchanged between the two gangs and racial slurs were thrown about, then the guy attacked him with a glass. I'm not entirely sure how it came about as staff were changing over at the time.

"It was horrific and the guy was covered in blood. His girlfriend said he's been taken to St John's Hospital where he's getting some plastic surgery.

"He's a regular here and a nice lad."

She added: "We have given police CCTV footage of the incident. We want this person caught."

A police spokesman said: "The suspect is described as male, white, 5ft 10ins tall with shaved fair hair. He was wearing a black jacket, a red t-shirt, dark jeans and coloured trainers with the numbers 006 on them. He is believed to be between 25 and 30-years-old.

"Anyone who was within the pub and witnessed anything suspicious or who has information that can assist in identifying the male responsible is asked to contact police immediately."

It is not the first time in recent months that violent, anti-social behaviour has been reported on Leith Walk.

The owners of the nearby Word of Mouth Bistro said they had witnessed a stabbing, glass bottles being thrown at passers-by and several incidents of theft from their own premises.

Owner Kirstie Campbell, who has been forced to call the police more than 10 times in 2010, said a man stumbled into their premises last March after being stabbed in the stomach.

She said: "We were just closing up when a guy came up and knocked on the door.

"He pulled his t-shirt up to reveal a large, deep wound on his stomach so we got him in and called an ambulance. He had seen a couple having an argument and the guy has stabbed him then ran off.

"Sadly it's not an isolated incident."

Leith councillor Gordon Munro said: "Evidence from police indicates there are less violent incidents within the area nowadays, but if people aren't reporting anti-social behaviour I would encourage them to do so, so that they give us a true picture of what is going on."

The Scotsman